Monday, June 25, 2007

Yesterday at church I had an epiphany. A good place to have one wouldn’t you think. Anyhow this last year and a half I have been the primary ctr 5 teacher. It has been the hardest calling I have ever had. I was plucked from young women’s were I was privileged to teach insightful lessons and connect with the girls. Which I loved.. I am pretty sure I went through the grieving steps. Anger , denial , bargaining , and whatever else comes with it . So my first week in primary I try to give an insightful and spiritual lesson to 10 of the hardest 4 and 5 years old children in the ward. It didn’t go well. One of my students (the one in the window sill) went home and said teacher cried. I told him it was a good cry. You know the spirit touched me crying. I was lying of course. The next week I had a new game plan I would stand on my head and teach the lesson. I had their attention but I don’t think anything was taught. As the year progressed I relearned how to teach little children. (Mine are all over the age of 5) I would tell stories as if they were from a video game. You know Ammon used a sword not a lightsaver. Play games and use big eyes when talking. This is all obvious stuff. But my heart was still with my girls in Young Women’s. I finally have my 3 girls in there and I get released.

Any how yesterday in primary as I was holding 2 of the 10 kids on my lap while trying to block the way with my foot for the other 3 escape artists of the class , we were singing I know my redeemer lives, and it was the sweetest thing. I thought to my self while struggling to keep my class in there seats and quiet there was a certain beauty, I dare say true religion about the moment. This is what is about , feeling the true spirit in its simplest form from a song with the innocence of the children . Its not about my great gospel insights or any other young women teacher. As I look back on my experiences as a youth I remember the songs not the lessons. So as my girls are growing up and going through the cinematic moments in young women’s I want them to remember it is not that complicated . The savior loves us and we should live to feel his love. Pure and Simple.

7 comments:

ld said...

Are you absolutely certain that Ammon didn't use a lightsaber?

I'll hand you this (no pun intended), you do have a great idea in getting the point across.

Chea said...

I always thought is was a light saver not saber. shows my starwars ignorence

ld said...

Cardboard, lots and lots of cardboard seems to be the method of communicating with Primary aged kids in my household. cs was in her element with helping Brig & Bird do their visual aids when they were teaching the 4 year olds in their old ward.

Next time you're up here, I'll help you load up your car with visual aids then maybe I can use the garage again for its intended purpose.

wendy said...

amen.

ld said...

Click here for reference material for future Primay lessons.

Chea said...

fascinating. except it took the page to long to download for my short attention span.

Anonymous said...

Good words.